top of page
  • Writer's pictureGeorge Rodriguez

New Immigration Laws Coming

I must have spoken to hundreds of undocumented aliens who have called asking me how they can get a green card. Many of them have been here for years. They have worked and paid their taxes. But unless they are married to an American Citizen, for most of them the answer is ‘you cannot’.

On January 21st, 2021 our new President sent a bill to Congress that will change their lives. If you are here without papers read on.

The new bill is called the “U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021.” It may change before it becomes a law. But right now, this is what it provides. If you are undocumented and you were physically present in the United States on or before January 1st, 2021 you will immediately be able to apply for a "Lawful Prospective Immigrant" status. This will allow you to work and live without fear of deportation. After five years you would be able to apply for a green card. Three years after receiving your green card you will be able to apply for citizenship. The way this bill is written now, an undocumented alien can be a citizen within 8 years.

A family member who was deported on or before January 20, 2017 who was physically here for at least three years prior to being deported, will be able to apply for a green card. Then they can return to the United States to be united with their family.

Finally, the 3/10 year ban will be eliminated. If you were deported, you don’t have to wait 3 or 10 years to apply for a visa to return to the United State. You can apply immediately. There is no information on the permanent bar, but I am hopeful that that will be changed as well.

What do you have to do? Stay out of trouble, no fighting in family, take care of your children, do not get arrested (no drinking and driving), work and pay your taxes. If you are serious about citizenship learn how to SPEAK, READ AND WRITE ENGLISH. Remember with the permanent ban you can receive a waiver for crossing the border once. If you do it twice you may never be allowed to get a green card or become a citizen. If you are here, STAY HERE. DO NOT VISIT YOUR HOME COUNTRY. You can visit your home country once you have a green card.

Remember The Rodriguez Law Firm is going to be here for you, studying the new law. We will help you with whatever procedure is needed to change you from undocumented status to permanent resident and hopefully citizenship.


bottom of page